At Cotton Boulevard, we only use organic cotton for our range of clothing for babies and young children. The environmental, social and economic benefits of using organic cotton instead of the conventional cotton that’s been used for centuries are substantial, but it also provides many benefits for clothing and blankets for babies and young children.
What makes organic cotton a great material for clothes and blankets?
Whatever your age, we believe that organic cotton is best. However, for babies and young children, organic cotton has a host of benefits, such as:
- It is softer and kinder to the skin, while it also provides more comfort for your child during sleep and playtime. In addition, the cotton gets softer the more it is washed.
- Normal cotton which has been subjected to toxic pesticides and chemicals can often mean that it is coarse and scratchy. Organic cotton is free from both pesticides and chemicals which ensures that:
- Your child is not inhaling anything toxic.
- They stay discomfort free.
- Your child has less chances of developing skin conditions from contact such as eczema, dermatitis and other allergies.
- Because the fibres have not been damaged by chemicals during production, the quality of the cotton is much superior. Therefore, clothing made from organic cotton will last longer than those made of conventional cotton.
- It is mould-resistant and stops the growth of micro-organisms.
It is important that a baby or young child is dressed in clothing that is chemical free, as at this age they are more likely to develop allergies due to their skin being more sensitive than adults. Organic cotton is ideal for both clothing, blankets and bedding and is the perfect material in which they can play and sleep in comfort.
Organic cotton and its wider impact
With climate change and the protection of the environment being a very hot topic, more and more individuals and companies are turning to environmentally friendly products for a wide variety of uses.
Organic cotton, along with providing many benefits for babies and children when worn, is also an environmentally friendly material that’s doing its bit to create a sustainable future for children.
The production of conventional cotton is a very water-intensive process. In fact, it takes 2,700 litres of water to produce one t-shirt, and as most cotton is grown is in water-scarce areas, it has a significant and detrimental impact on water sources and the people who depend on that water to live.
Production of organic cotton, however, uses 92% less water than conventional cotton, as well as using rainwater more efficiently. With the absence of chemicals and pesticides used during production, the water that is put back into the soil and rivers is cleaner and safer. An added bonus of not using pesticides and chemicals is that it is also beneficial to animals and insects.
Organic cotton farmers and their families also benefit from not using chemicals and pesticides, as it means that they are not exposed to toxins in the field or through their food and water supply.
Organic cotton is a win-win situation for everyone.
Discover a range of clothing that’s sustainable, ethical and environmentally friendly – and beautiful too
Buying clothing and bedding made from organic cotton is doing much more than protecting your child’s skin and being comfortable, it is helping sustainability by improving the health of soils and ecosystems, improving the environment, and helping farmers have an improved life. To see our collection of sustainable, soft organic cotton clothing for babies and toddlers, click here