Our baby blankets
This time of year would be the start of our events calendar, but we have been unable to attend events due to the COVID pandemic the last two years. Our wonderful large baby blankets come into their own at events and are always a big hit with parents and grandparents, and are loved and cherished by both parents and babies alike. Their fantastic quality, simple design and range of colours set them apart.
Frequently Asked Questions about blankets
Over the years, we have been asked various questions about baby blankets. Below we have answered some of the most popular.
In our opinion we would say YES and that you could never have too many blankets. However there are times when you should be careful such as using blankets in cots. Check out The NHS’s guidance and The Lullaby Trust to learn more and to keep your baby safe.
We would say that there isn’t a ‘best’ blanket as there are different blankets for different situations, we have covered the main 5 types of blankets below . But if we had to choose a ‘best’ we would of course choose our gorgeous luxury knitted blankets, made with 100% naturally breathable GOTs certified organic cotton.
You can never have too many blankets! If you are looking to use blankets when the baby sleeps then, the NHS advises that a room temperature between 16-20°C is ideal for babies, and you can adjust how warm they are by using layers of lightweight blankets. At this temperature, your baby will only need 1 or 2 cellular blankets.
Buy Organic Cotton Baby Blankets
Type of baby blankets
When it comes to baby blankets, it is essential to know each type’s uses and pair each blanket with its correct use. First of all, there are five main types of baby blankets. These include receiving blankets, security blankets, swaddling blankets, crib blankets, and cellular blankets. When buying a blanket for a baby or as a gift, always consider the unique needs of the baby.
The name receiving blanket comes from the fact that this item is usually the first blanket used to wrap up newborns so that parents can “receive” their newest family member. Typically made from a relatively thin, soft flannel cotton material.
These are blankets designed specifically for swaddling – they are large, thin and breathable to help moderate baby’s temperature. They are usually made from muslin which makes them extremely versatile.
A security blanket is a comforter for the child and an assurance to the parents that, once the blanket is in hand, their baby will soon be napping. Our blankets make great comforters and are loved by CB toddlers who had them as newborns.
Crib or cot blankets are larger than receiving blankets and security blankets. They come in various sizes, materials and weights. For safety reasons they should be free from loose threads, buttons, yarns and large holes. As the name suggests they are used as blankets in cots or cribs
Cellular blankets are considered the best type of blankets for newborns (safer than fleece blankets which can be hot) and are used in hospitals. Lightweight, knitted or woven which allows for airflow whilst also trapping air pockets to provide extra insulation keeping your baby’s temperature regular.
Why buy organic cotton baby blankets?
Organic cotton is an ideal material for tiny baby newborn clothes and accessories and has many advantages over other materials, as well as traditional cotton:
- It is kind to delicate skin.
- It is better for the environment – organic cotton uses no pesticides and significantly less water than traditional cotton production.
- Free from pesticides and chemicals, means that your baby is not exposed to any substances that could irritate their skin or cause allergies.
- It will keep your baby cooler in hot weather than clothing made from synthetic fibres.
- The quality is superior to other fibres.
- It is a very soft material and actually gets softer with every wash.
- It is exceptionally hard-wearing.
Why buy your baby blankets from Cotton Boulevard?
A family-run business, the team at Cotton Boulevard designs beautiful clothing for premature babies, tiny babies, newborns and toddlers of exceptional quality.
- Exceptional quality – All our clothing is made from GOTs (Global Organic Textile Standard) certified organic cotton. This means that our organic cotton meets the worldwide textile processing standard for organic fibres, including ecological and social criteria. When you dress your baby in our clothing, you are not only dressing them in soft fabric that’s kind to their skin, you are helping the environment too.
- Sustainable farming – Our farmers in India produce all the organic cotton used in our clothing using sustainable farming methods without using harmful pesticides or synthetic fertilisers.
- Our clothing is designed to ensure maximum comfort for your baby.
- Each piece is lovingly hand made in the softest organic cotton to ensure that only the highest quality garments are delivered to our customers.